Friday, May 25, 2007

Selfish 60 Year-Old Mother

While she may have hit the news for her so-called "achievement", Frieda Birnbaum may be consider by many to be nothing less than a selfish old bitch, and I would agree.

Now I don't consider sixty as being old, but I do believe it's far too old to have children, for women and men. The 60 year-old American woman gave birth to twin boys on Tuesday 22 May 2007, the oldest woman to do so in the USA.

Now Frieda Birnbaum should be utterly ashamed of what she has done, but she obviously only considers her feelings. According to the New York Daily News, even her adult son Jason, and daughter Alana, "are appalled". "My mother is too old", Alana said. "I don't think she's thinking about the future - being 80 or 90 and having a kid." They're also concerned that they will end up taking care of the babies.

The physical and health issues are only one side of the argument. What I have not seen mentioned, is the psychological and emotional impact that having such an old mother would have on the kids later on.

It's enough that children have to deal with the age gap - mums and dads who don't relate to music trends, fashion, friends etc - without throwing into the mix an elderly, frail, old lady as mother. Children are often the targets of abuse and teasing while growing up. These twins will later have to deal with being taunted by their peers, as well as feeling embarassed because of their mother's age.

Frieda Birnbaum should understand all this, because she's a psychologist. I guess a degree doesn't buy you brains.

It became quite obvious to me, through the way she spoke in interviews, just how self-centred Frieda Birbnaum is. Everything was I..., I..., I.... She referred to now feeling complete. Goodness, she's already had three children. How more complete does she need to be, and at whose expense?

Frieda Birnbaum and her husband, Ken, a New York attorney, have been married for 38 years. The babies were delivered by Dr Abdulla al-Khan after Frieda underwent in-vitro fertilisation (IVF) on a trip to Cape Town last year.


Frieda Birnbaum with Dr Abdulla al-Khan

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home